Andrew J. Britton Member
Andrew Britton has always demonstrated a strong attention to detail and a commitment to excellence. He persued a degree in economics, a subject of the philosophy of numbers, at Wittenberg University. This course of study coincides with Mr. Britton’s ability to view a personal estate and determine how the financial assets are best protected with a number of estate planning tools and strategies. Mr. Britton continued his education, earning his law degree from one of the most accredited universities in the nation, with honors.
His legal career brought him to several states and types of law firms. His focus in business law has been honed by a variety of experiences with small, mid-sized and large organizations. Having worked for larger firms, Mr. Britton wanted to become a part of a local community where his talents would be best utilized, and where he could provide the attentive legal counsel people are looking for. He found this in Venice, Florida, in 1976 and founded his own firm in 1984 to wholeheartedly devote his time to solving problems for clients with individualized attention and personal service.
None of Andy Britton’s friends would accuse him of forgetting what it’s like to be a kid. But in a city that skews decidedly older in population, the longtime Venice resident knows that someone has to think about activities for the younger generation.
Andy’s advocacy for local youth is well known – from heading up Venice Little League and the Sertoma Club to serving on the boards of Venice High School Foundation, the Rotary Futures Program, and the local Boys and Girls Club. But the attorney and former Gulf Coast Community Foundation Board member also sees the potential to keep helping through a planned gift.
Andy established a charitable gift annuity at the Foundation to ensure a perpetual stream of funds to support Venice-area youth programs. “There’s always a need in this community for things to benefit the kids,” he says. “Our children are extremely important, and I would like to provide support for family-related programs to teach them, to involve them in fun and meaningful activities, and to help them make positive decisions.”
“Sometimes people tend to forget that they were kids once. Whether it’s providing athletic fields, offering scholarships, or building safe places for them to hang out, there is always more we can do for our youth.” – Andy Britton
Please read below for more information on Mr. Britton’s credentials.
- California, 1972
- Georgia, 1974
- Florida, 1976
- All local and state courts in Florida, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, and United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Duke University and Arizona State University, Colleges of Law, Juris Doctor
- Graduated cum laude from Arizona State University
- Brainerd Currie (full tuition) Scholarship, Duke University
- Wittenberg University, Bachelor of Arts, major in Economics
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Ozell M. Trask, Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit (headquartered in San Francisco, California) from September 1972 through August 1973
- Worked with law firm of Hansel, Post, Brandon & Dorsey in Atlanta, Georgia, from September 1973 until his move to Venice, Florida in July 1976
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Southwest Florida and Venice Estate Planning Councils
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell® (highest rating given for professional ability and ethics)
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), professional designation program through The American College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
- Adjunct Professor, Manatee Community College, Law and Banking, 1988 – 1991
Concentration in the areas of business law and estate planning, including:
- Preparing wills and trusts
- Probate and trust administration
- Advising not-for-profit entities
- Representing buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of businesses
- Formation of partnerships and corporations
- Banking law and secured transactions
- Real estate transactions
- Advising owners of businesses on legal and estate planning matters
Contact Andrew J. Britton, P.A.
Based in Venice, Florida, the law firm of Andrew J. Britton, P.A. serves businesses and individuals throughout Sarasota County in their transactional needs. For experienced, thorough legal service, call us at 941-408-8008 or contact our law firm online. We look forward to providing quality, responsive counsel to you.